Monday, July 1, 2019

Tokusatsu Review: Kamen Rider Final Form Top 20 Update Genius Form: More like C- (Happy 5th Anniversary)

When you're done read, comment, spread the links, re-tweet and follow me on Twitter @OnDavidsBrain!, support me on Patreon and watch my Twitch Channel Every Saturday at 12:00 ET

While I do have massive problems with this series this Ridewatch does make for a convenient title card doesn't it?

 Time yet again for another update to my top Kamen Rider Final forms list. But before I give my thoughts on the hilariously named Genius Form I have to unfortunately touch on the recently revealed Grand Zi-O. Long story short I hate it and seems to incapsulate all of my problems with a Zi-O as a rider.

While the design isn’t all that bad the power if the form itself is what kills it for me. All Zi-O has to do is touch a Rider on the armor and it summons that Rider to perform their very first finishing move, where they were at their weakest, yet it’s able to repel a late series monster.

 I don’t even need to explain why you all can hopefully tell why this power is so ungodly useless to Zi-O. Rest assured that when Zero One’s Final form is introduced this grand failure will hit rock bottom of the list. But for now we have to change gears and focus on the flaws and strengths of Build’s Final form.


 Aesthetically I’ve seen worse, contrasting against the all black dominated color scheme of the Hazard Forms that mostly rely on pure power and speed Genius Form (theoretically) depends on variety since it apparently can utilize the powers of all 60 of the Fullbottles. Yet we never really see that happen on screen just like with Blade and his King Form and Fourze's Cosmic States. All that it was built for was to combat the Lost Smash and save its victims without killing them by purifying the Nebula Gas in them, purifying the Lost Fullbottles in the process. Other than that, nothing, it barely even helped Sento stand up to Evolt. I don’t think that I’ve ever come across a final form that was so specialized to be almost useless outside of its intended purpose. 

 Also I get what they were trying to go for with the red and blue color scheme calling back to Build's default Rabbit Tank form but the color balancing just doesn't work for me. Though symbolically this form is the culmination of Sento’s identity crisis. With this form complete he was able to balance himself between Kiryu Sento and Katsuragi Takumi, the false persona made real and the demon scientist. Around the time that Genius Form was finished Takumi conceded the body to Sento, though he was a false persona he’s proven to Takumi through both is actions and character that he truly is the better man between the two. So while the form itself isn’t all that impressive it does do what a final form is supposed to do and culminate the emotional and or character arc of the main character and it does that job well but not enough to break the top 10.

 Also apparently Sento even lost access to this form after the two worlds were merged at the end of the series. Though does still have the Fullbottle itself he can't access the form, but there's still the V Cinema's coming down the pike so we'll see about that. But for now if I was being extremely generous I'd at least put it at 12th place knowing down Faiz Blaster.

#20 Hibiki Armed
#19 Ghost Mugen Damashi
#18 Ryuki Survive
#17 Agito Shining
#16 Decade Complete
#15 Stronger Charge Up
#14 Fourze Cosmic States
#13 Faiz Blaster
#12 Genius Form
#11 Drive Type Tridoron
#10 Wizard Infinity Style
#9 Kabuto Hyper Form
#8 Muteki Gamer Lv 100
#7 Blade King Form
#6 Ultimate Kuuga
#5 W/Double Cyclone Joker Xtreme
#4 OOO Putotyra Combo
#3 Den-O Liner Form
#2 Gaim Kiwami Arms
#1 Kiva Emperor Form

 Now I know that I should be finishing up my review of Heisei Generations Forever and yes it will be done. But since there's Spider-Man Far From Home coming in the very near future I have to make that priority. And since it's the end of Phase 3 I have to give my list of the best and worst of Phase 3 so that's going to take my attention for now. But afterwords, I will finish that review, so please be patient, thank you all for the views, shares and what not, and Happy 5th Anniversary.

Special thanks to my Patreon backer Jesse for his support.


Kamen Rider is owned by Ishinomori Productions, Toei Productions, and Bandai.
Gravity Falls is owned by Disney Television Animation and Alex Hirsch.

No comments:

Post a Comment