Monday, May 13, 2019

Month of Mayga Man: Worst Robot Masters of each Mega Man game.

When you're done read, comment, spread the links, re-tweet and follow me on Twitter @OnDavidsBrain!, support me on Patreon and watch my Twitch Channel Every Saturday at 12:00 ET

Nit exactly the best image I can find but for these clowns it's fitting.

 Ok, now that I’ve got my favorite Robot Masters out of the way it’s time to empty my barrels at the ones I hate the most. Once again I’m only counting down my least favorite ones from each game.


 Starting with the first game there’s only one Robot Master in this bunch that haunts my nightmares, Guts Man. His stage is unholy with the bottomless pit jumps with the dropping platforms, his weapon is far too situational and without his weakness I can never beat him because I can never get the timing for his jumps down so he just steamrolls me. Not to mention his overuse in the series as a whole makes me really tired of the guy, really fast. Why Wily insists on reusing this bucket of bolts is a mystery to me. But one that I'm in no hurry to solve.

 Speaking of hurry my pick for worst in Mega Man 2 is Quick Man. Once again like with Guts Man if you don’t have his weakness he’ll reduce you to scrap faster then you can say Gangsta’s Paradise. But when you do have his weapon he’s a complete and utter joke. Literally just press the button and he goes down with the power of Za Worldo, even if you can't use your Mega Buster while he’s immobile he just takes damage from not being able to move. It like his restless leg syndrome is absolutely fatal to him or something.

 As for my pick for my worst Mega Man 3 boss of course I was going to pick Top Man. I could go on about how his boss fight is rather easy but of course I’m going to pick on him for his special weapon. Why wouldn’t I; his weapon the Top Spinner is one of the absolute worst weapons in Mega Man history. You can take major damage just from using it, it doesn’t damage any of the regular enemies as far as I can tell and it just drains your weapon energy from one use and do nothing, even if it’s used on the enemies that it’s supposed to work against. But yet for some ungodly reason it can take out Gamma in one attack if you can do it right because the game seems to hate you.

 Moving on to Mega Man 4 we have the biggest jobber in the series. All you have to do to beat Toad Man is just hit him with the standard lemon blasts. It will restart his patterns and cause him to just jump over you, repeat until you win and get not only his weapon but the Rush Marine.  If it wasn't for the fact that his weapon is basically a screen nuke I'd honestly consider Toad Man to be the easiest boss in the series. I mean even Spark Mandril and all the flack he gets for the naming of the trope doesn't even compare to how pathetic Toad Man is.

 Charge Man from Mega Man 5 is a robot that runs on coal and steam, as confirmed by the Wiki this design makes Charge Man incredibly impractical and high maintenance. Why in god's name would Wily design Charge Man off of a steam engine instead of an electric train, aesthetics? It just makes for a pissed off Thomas the Tank Engine. If that wasn't bad enough his attack is almost as bad as Top Man and his weakness, the Power Stone hits with one of the worst firing patterns I've seen for a weapon. Combined with the invincibility of his charge and coal attacks make him a pain to fight, just an all around pain in the caboose to deal with.

 I have to be honest, I really don't have an issue with any of the Robot Masters of Mega Man 6. But if I had to make a pick I guess Wind Man would have to get the short straw. Though most of the Robot Masters and their respective weapons are easily ignorable in this entry due to the existence of the Rush Power and Flight Adapters making the weapons almost useless except agains the bosses. Though speaking of Wind Man he has the same weakness as Quick Man and can be taken down in 7 shots with the Centaur Flash. So I guess that's my reason, sorry buddy.

 Moving on to Mega Man 7 we have Freeze Man the only one of the first 4 robot masters of that entry that I have issue with. The rest of the three have easy to dodge patterns and can be great for first time players. Freeze Man on the other hand has very hard to read patterns and seems to have counters for every attack you have. Unless you have his weakness and exploit it he'll just leave you out in the cold. I mean I could have gone with the ones who actually have Spark Mandril syndrome but in this case this guy is a beginners trap as far as I can guess.

 From the first four Robot Masters of Mega Man 8 I have my pick, Clown Man. Like I said with Freeze Man; Clown Man is the one of the first four that can give first time players a rather sizable headache. Not to mention I find his final design a major step down from his submitted and design. In case you don't know Mega Man 8's Robot Masters aside from Tengu Man and Astro Man were contest winners, and Clown Man's original design is much more terrifying and cool than the one they went with. Yes I know the original might not fit in aesthetically but come on!

 For Mega Man 9's retro throw back my pick for worst Robot Master is the hot headed Magma Man. His attack pattern is annoying and almost guaranteed to hit you thanks to the uneven terrain of his boss fight room, his weakness doesn't even fully kill him and just how does he even move his shoulders? Though at least his special weapon isn't too bad. But then again so are most of the Mega Man 9 weapons so what makes his so special? Honestly just like with Mega Man 6, I'm kind of reaching on this one.
 The same cannot be said for Mega Man 10's Commando Man. Remember Guts Man and my complaints about him? Well imagine his jump causing quakes coupled with recision jumps and rocket launchers that cause major splash damage and you have Commando Man. Not even the fact that he's green can save him from my ire since he reminds me far too much about my most legit hated Robot Master in the series. Besides his Weapon isn't too bad even if it is too fast to control properly and is basically a remote controlled Crash Bomber.
 Oh dear lord Torch Man where do I start with his guy. Let's start with his stage where unless you know what you're doing you'll be treated to more instant deaths then you can shake a stick at. It's full of tight jumps, instant death fire walls (that admittingly can be stopped with Tundra Man's weapon) and bottomless pits. Then there's the guy himself, unless you know what you're doing with the speed Gear his Torch Jutsu, overwhelming power, insane speed and awesome voice will make you his brand new punching bag. Not to mention that when he activates his Power Gear he can become a flaming meteor of fiery death.

 So that's my picks for my least liked Robot Masters in the Mega Man games released to date. Now I would keep up the pattern for next week's entry but since John Wick Chapter 3 comes out this week that takes priority, since you do not refuse John Wick by any means necessary. But in case you haven't seen them (shame on you first of all) he's my link to the second movie to get you prepped for the third one. Afterwords I'll go over my overall favorite Mega Man games of the classic era. Which I bet won't be controversial at all.


Special thanks to my Patreon backer Jesse for his support.

Megaman is owned by Capcom.

No comments:

Post a Comment