Monday, July 24, 2017

Movie Review: War for the Planet of the Apes: Apes, strong, together.

When you're done read, comment, spread the links, re-tweet and follow me on Twitter @OnDavidsBrain! and support me on Patreon.


 Wow-we is it time for another Planet of the Apes Movie? It seems like forever since the last movie and also seems forever since my text review of it. Wait how long was it again? Oh right three years, three whole years since my review of the second movie. Such memories, why don't we take a look at my review of the last one shall we?  


 Yeah I was pretty crap wasn't I? Judging by my view count between then and now I might still be crap but at least I'm better smelling crap. Though speaking of crap this movie definitely didn't have me flinging mine at the screen mostly due to it being pretty good. Now for those who never saw the first two movies the third does give a very short and sweet text recap of what happened previously. Which is a good way to solve the "haven't seen the first two movies so I'm not sure if I should see the third one" problem. I perfectly understand that not everyone has a whole wealth of time to movies and not wanting to feel left out when the third and a beloved trilogy comes out. 

 Moving on it's been a few years since the events of the last movie and Ceaser and his tribe are continuing their search for a permanent settlement away from the remaining humans who understandably are a little peeved that most of their species were killed by the Simian Virus and are a little trigger happy toward the new dominant species of the earth. Ceaser learns from his oldest Son that there is a place that could serve their needs beyond the boarder of California. But before Ceaser can act his wife and oldest son are killed by a Colonel played by Woody Harrelson so he and a small group of his most loyal apes decide to launch an attack on the Colonel and his unit as revenge. Along the way Ceaser is plagued by doubts set in from the last movie, primarily centered around the actions of Koba. I won't say how exactly but for those who played Arkham Knight (and not Blacklisted Warner Brothers games after playing the PC Version) they should have a pretty good idea how.

 The advertising for this one may be a little disingenuous about what the actual "war" in this movie is. No it's not the obvious Ape vs Human war but a more personal one for Ceaser, now I won't say what it is but those who've seen the last two movies and read what the driving motivation for him and the Arkham Knight reference can probably guess what the "war" is. Once again the special effects in this movie have gone up, still convincing me that I am indeed watching a group of super intelligent apes and not CGI puppets being moved by the brilliant motion capture work of Andy Serkis. What helps with this is in the characterization, you can truly see some great and captivating performances and emotions in the facial movements of Ceaser and the other apes. Though the human characters aren't slouches in this case either, especially Woody Harrelson's Colonel but I won't give away why since this is truly something you need to see for yourself.

 Now as of writing this I still haven't seen the original Planet of the Apes movies but I know enough to know what are the seeds for those movies that are planted in this movie. Now we can all just definitively agree that the Tim Burton remake never happened, right? Right good, moving on because seriously screw Tim Burtons remakes, we may like the guy or at least not have gotten sick of him but everyone can admit his adaptations and remakes are just; as the brits describe complete and utter pants. Again since I do want you all to see this I won't give them away but be on the lookout. But for now all I can say is get your tribe, get some popcorn and definitely be sure to swing on by and catch this when you legally can. Speaking of swinging when I come back to looking at movies either I'll be swinging to music or swinging around NYC, depends on which I get to first, either way I'll definitely be in for a good time so keep an eye out for that.

Special thanks to my Patreon backer Jesse for his support.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is owned by 20th Century Fox Based on Characters Created by Pierre Boulle

No comments:

Post a Comment